Menu
On the Trade of Swords, Cloths and Bows
07.08.2015
Illustration Bognergasse (c) Goldenes Quartier

Illustration Bognergasse (c) Goldenes Quartier

Illustration Seitzergasse (c) Goldenes Quartier

Illustration Seitzergasse (c) Goldenes Quartier

Illustration Tuchlauben (c) Goldenes Quartier

Illustration Tuchlauben (c) Goldenes Quartier

On the Trade of Swords, Cloths and Bows

07.08.2015

Tradition meets modernity. The new corporate identity is based on the history of the buildings in the Goldenes Quartier.

From the Seitzergasse via the Bognergasse, the Tuchlauben and Am Hof: lots of roads lead to the Goldenes Quartier. Refurbished true to the original – from every vantage point – the Viennese architecture with its unique façades was the starting point for the new corporate identity of the old neighbourhood. The monochrome line graphics trace the historical house fronts that are now home to international fashion labels, the Park Hyatt Vienna, Lederleitner Home, modern office spaces, apartments and soon a restaurant. Now fill in the illustration with life: shopping, living, working, having a drink. That, too, has been customary here for centuries.

Do you know the history of the Quartier?
The streets around the Tuchlauben date back to the time of the Roman camp Vindobona around the porta decumana.

Tuchlauben: The Tuchlauben was one of the most aristocratic streets in the city, just as the cloth-makers’ was one of the oldest and wealthiest guilds. Its existence can be traced back to 1289. The oldest building still standing, the Hochholzerhof, even dates back to 1286 and was known as “Zum langen Keller” (“The Long Cellar”). It is thought to have been converted to its current form in 1719.

Bognergasse: From 1262 it was known as the “strata gladiatorum” (“Gladiatorial Street”). This is where craftspeople had settled who made swords. From the 14th century, the name “Unter den Bognern” (“Among the Bowyers”) became common. Even today, the street name still makes reference to the bows that used to be made here.

Seitzergasse: It was called “Kurbaunerstraße” from 1300 until at least 1511, named after the Kurbauners who used to make crossbows. From 1786 it was named after the Seitzerhof (which comes from the Seitz charterhouse in Styria). The Tuchlaubenhof has been here since 1912.

(Quelle: wien.gv.at)

Share

I agree that this site uses cookies for analysis.

Newsletter Registration
Visit us on